Monday, April 29, 2013

Potomac Rockfish Report 27, 28, 29 April 2013

Fished all afternoon Friday and came up empty-handed.  A lot of chatter on the radio indicated that others weren't doing very well either.  We trolled around the gas docks, and tried everything in the book...criss-crossing the channel, upstream, downstream, running the channel luck.  We decided to run down to Buoy 7 to see if we would have any better luck there...trolled for about 3 hours and finally reeled it all in and headed back to the dock at dark.

In order to get a quick start on Saturday fishing, we stayed on the boat overnight.  Got up Saturday morning bright and early to watch the sun rise over the Potomac River.  We hustled down to the "B" Buoy area just below the Gas Docks and got our lines in the water.  We trolled toward Buoy 9 on the Virginia side, staying in 35 to 40 feet of water.  Our first fish was caught on our deepest line that was straight down off the back of the boat.  It had a tandem setup with a 28-ounce Mojo holding it down and a trailing parachute rig with a chartreuse 12-inch body.  We were running downstream with the tide and the GPS indicated about 3.3mph, which is a little faster than I wanted to be going, but it seemed to work.  This fish was 36 inches and weighed about 18 pounds.

What a beautiful day it was on Saturday.  You can tell how smooth the water was in the pictures.  Just a slight breeze and fishing conditions were just about as perfect as anyone could ask for.

A couple of hours later, we were in almost exactly the same spot near Buoy 9, headed upstream after the tide turned around.  This nice 40-inch fish knocked down a line on our starboard planer board.  This line was running a 3-ounce/7-ounce chartreuse tandem parachute rig with about 80 feet of line.  This was the biggest fish of the weekend. 

We headed out on Sunday afternoon and decided that we liked our results from the previous day, so headed straight for Buoy 9.  We trolled the same areas just up from 9 in 35 to 40 feet of water.  The day started out a little rough on the water, and got progressively worse as the afternoon continued.  We kept fighting the 3-foot rollers and ended up with a 3-foot fish as a reward!  This is my daughter holding onto the 36-inch fish that was caught near the red/white buoy just below the gas docks on the Virginia side.  This one was caught on the same Mojo rig straight out the back of the boat...the deepest running bait in my spread.

We continued trolling down the Virginia side of the river all the way to Ragged Point since it was a "Fair winds and following seas" kind of situation with the wind blowing straight up the river.  We let the seas follow us all the way back to Coles Point and pulled up our lines and headed home.

Three fish weekend - I'm pretty happy with it.  I think I may adjust my spread a little bit to put more of my baits deeper in the water column. Most of the marking that I was doing, the fish and bait were at 15 to 20 feet in depth.  Since the Mojo tandem rig caught two of the three fish this weekend - we'll see how it goes next weekend.

Thanks for reading, and Tight Lines!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.